Sunday, September 30, 2012

I can drive!!!!!!! And fall

So, it's time to get my driver's license!!! I leave school and head home to get the translation of my Georgia driver's license that I had done last week. The taxi driver takes me to the "gray building" to get the receipt for my Emirates ID that I should get at some point, Insha'Allah. Which means there is really no timeframe for receiving the ID. So, I go in and this very nice man asks me my business and I tell him I need a receipt for my ID. He asks for my passport which I provide, prints a piece of paper and says go sit over there and the guy will stamp it. So, I go sit. As I look over the paper, it has a mobile number that is not mine. So I go back to ask him about it. He says it's fine and the number is for the person at ADEC who is responsible for distributing the IDs whe they are ready. So, I smile, say ok and head back to the other waiting area.  Another guy comes from behind with a stamp and pen and stamps my paper. As I get ready to leave, Christine sends a text and she is home and headed to get her ID. So, I decide to wait on her. While waiting, the first guy asks me where I teach and we discuss that briefly. I tell him I'm waiting on my friend and could I get her receipt so we can go get a driver's license. He says "what is her name?" I respond. Then, "what is her passport number?" Seriously?? He's going to let me have it??? I call Christine and get her passport number. He prints the page and has the guy stamp it right then, NO waiting!!! I call Christine and she is almost to the "grey building." When she arrives, I hop  in the taxi and off we go to the driver's license place.

Now, this place is not in town and it doesn't appear that taxis come by often so our taxi driver offers to stay and wait on us. No problem. We go in and are told to go to the Women's Waiting Area. There are only a couple of people in the room and we get through fairly quick. But wait! Now I have to go have an eye exam. What!!! Yep, back towards the front door is the place for an eye exam and I have to pay 20 dirhams. Not bad, about $7. Now, I have to take the eye exam back to the Women's Wating Area to submit the eye exam and pay 200 dirhams, about $70. Now to wait for the license. All in all, it was about 30 minutes at the license place. Christine and I are excited we may now be able to LEGALLY drive in the UAE.

Now, as we head out to leave the building we go out the glass doors and begin walking down the ramp. I slip on the tile/marble ramp covered in a thin layer of sand and bust my butt!!!! We laugh but as I get up I realize this is not so funny. I am in a lot of pain. However, we head to Carrefour to buy a GPS (the only way to get around here) and stop to get dinner. I go to the pharmacy to get some Advil since I didn't bring any with me to hopefully help with the pain. Once at home, I go to the freezer to get ice and realize there is NO ice. So, I fill up a ziplock back and put it in the freezer knowing I will need to ice my rear if I am going to go to work in the morning. I call mom and dad, as promised and I can still hear mom saying "Andrea" as I tell her what I did. Mom's voice will always be in my head, I guess!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment