Friday, September 28, 2012

Respect

I would like to clear up a few things. Coming to a new country to live has certainly opened my eyes to those who come to America. Yes, I was invited to come and it was my choice which may be different from some who are in America. I understand the frustration of going to the grocery store and not being able to find what you want from spices to cookies to meats or anything. I get that! Visiting another country for vacation just isn't the same because in a week or two you go back to your home country and get the things you missed on vacation. I can say that the spagetti I finally cooked at my apartment was about the only satisfying meal I have had since I have been here. Things here taste different and just aren't fully satisfying.

I understand not being able to figure out where I am or how I need to get to one place or another. I grew up in the Atlanta area as most of you know so I knew where I was and where I needed to go when I wanted to go. So driving was no problem. Here, I have no idea where I am or how to get to a particular place. This became evident when I was riding to school with a co-worker in a taxi and neither of us could tell him where to go. We were used to being in a taxi with a driver who knew where to go. Luckily, we made it with just a few extra turns. I hope to start driving this week which will mean I will learn how to go places. I think every taxi driver takes a different route everytime I go somewhere just to see how much he can confuse me!

Now, on to a topic that may either suprise you or for me is a sensitive subject or one of which I am quite passionate about...Respect for women!! Prior to coming to the UAE, I had done plenty of research about the culture. While most was positive, there was some that was not. I have a friend living here and would get first hand knowledge of things happening here. I did not come into this adventure blind! Many people would say to me, prior to leaving, they don't respect women in the Middle East, are you sure you want to go over there? Yes, I do! I love it here! There is more respect here for women than anywhere in the US, in my opinion!!! While there are a few people who do not respect women here, it is NOT the norm. I find that men are more willing to help a woman here than in the US. In restaurants, male servers or managers are very concerned in our satisfaction with the food and service. For example, Christine and I had gone shopping last weekend and bought tons of stuff. When we got to the taxi at the store, the driver got out and put all our stuff in the trunk for us. Then when we got to my place, he carried all my bags to my apartment door and I don't mean the outside door. I mean he brought them all the way to the door. Then he took Christine home and she lives on the 2nd floor and he took all her stuff to her door and told her "women not do this, I do it." That would have never happened back home.

So you ask, if they respect women so much, why do the women have to be covered. Well, for many, it is how they were raised. They are dressed quite well under the abayas (traditional black dresses). They cover themselves out of respect for thier fathers, brothers and husbands. This keeps them from "tempting" the men who they may be in contact with. I have not bought any abayas yet but plan on doing so. I will post pictures when I get some. I find the abayas to vary from simple to extravagant. Some may be simple black while others are beaded, embroidered or different textures. All are beautiful!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment