Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Orientation & School Assignments

It's been a crazy 2 days!! We have had Orientation for the last 2 days which meant I had to set the alarm clock for 6:15am for the first time in 3 months. I did not like it but I guess it's time to get used to it again. We were bussed from our hotel to Mubarak Bin Mohammed School in Abu Dhabi about 10 minutes away. The school was gorgeous and is relatively new. On Monday, we were introduced to the "higher ups" of the Abu Dhabi Education Council (ADEC). I was really cool to see how these men were regarded by the others. Some were very fluent in English and a couple had translators which did an excellent job. I am simply in awe as I listen to them speak in Arabic. Maybe, I will learn some while I am here. We spent the day in the auditorium listening to various presentations like ADEC vision, culture, do's and don'ts, contracts, etc. We also took another photograph and did more finger printing. There is NO doubt who I am or what my fingerprints look like. I think this was the 4th set since I decided to take the position here in Abu Dhabi. Considering there were almost 400+ teachers, it seemed very well organized and moved swiftly.

Today, Tuesday, we went back to the auditorium and met briefly this morning to tell us what the day would hold. There were 4 break-out sessions which included kid watching, resources, pedagogy, and learning outcomes. We all received two 1" binders with Learning Outcomes and the Teacher Handbook. Both are well put together, in color and on sturdy paper (I say this because all the notebooks back home were cheap and on thin paper tha would come out of the notebook easily and I hated it!). The last session was on assessment and how scores are placed in the computer system. All of this to say, while I will be teaching another grade, many of the assessment tools are VERY similar to teaching Georgia Pre-K which was my very favorite!! I am excited to get back to teaching the way kids learn and assessing them where they are to maximize their potential. So we leave with the explanation that school assignments would be placed under the doors of our hotel rooms and that they are not quite ready. NOT exactly the case...

Emails started coming in about 6:30pm with school assignments. People started posting their school assignments on several of the Facebook groups I am a part of. Sure enough, I check my email and I will be at Shamma Bint Mohammed School. I then begin a search to determine if the school is girl's, boy's or co-ed. Thankfully, it is a girl's school with grades 1-5. I hope to learn more in the days to come but so far that is all I know.

1 comment:

  1. Happy to find your blog--thanks for sharing your adventures. I have had other friends who worked in Abu Dhabit and have applied there myself (at AISA), but no job offers yet. I appreciate being able to learn about AD from you. Blessings and much success in this new school year!

    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete