Monday, August 13, 2012

Uneventful yet Exciting!!!

Today was reletively uneventful. Half of the group here went to Al Ain to visit their new apartments and the other half will go tomorrow. I happen to be in the group going tomorrow so I stayed here at the hotel with baby Ethan while his mom, Nicole went to see the new place. We will live in the same city but not the same complex. Apparently, it was quite the experience that I hope I do NOT have. The busses were extremely hot with little to know air. Then that group had to wait for keys and people were not being gracious or professional. I hope tomorrow is better.

However, tonight we went to Kalidiyah Mall to get dinner and roam around. I ate at KFC and have to say it is much better than at home in the states. We also found my much LOVED Dr. Pepper in LuLu's. I am very excited about that since I haven't had one since I left the states. I had to be quite observant though because there was a sticker in Arabic that read something I don't know but in English above it some said Cherry Coke. These stickers were on Dr. Pepper cans. So I moved the cans around to find 6 that were labeled Dr. Pepper. I paid 3.75aed or $1.02 for each 12oz. can of Dr. Pepper and I am perfectly HAPPY about that. (Mom, that's better than $4 you paid in Paris...hehehe). To some this may not sound necessary but we have been told that just because the package looks like what we think it is it my not be. We have been told to look for these stickers. Apparently, the stickers tell the Emiratis that this item is not for Muslim consumption and that it is made with or near places that use pork products.

Now for the exciting part of the night!!! Nicole, baby Ethan, Christine and I get a taxi back to the hotel as we have done for almost a week now. We get in and tell him where to go. He nods and we are off. About 15 minutes later and 13.75aed, he pulls over on the side of the road (6+ lanes) and we see the mall again, where we started from. He tells us he does not know where the InterContinental is. So he gets out on this busy road and flags us down another taxi who knows where we need to be and it costs 8.75aed. He brings us safely home :-D

Now to get ready for my adventure to Al Ain tomorrow to see my new place.

1 comment:

  1. Do you know if Nicole has a blog on her experiences there in Abu Dhabi? I would love to get this same perspective from a single mom teaching in the UAE or maybe if you know of another single mom working as a teacher in the UAE, I would really appreciate it. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete