Monday, August 20, 2012

IKEA, Spinney's, Chili's

It was quite an interesting day. Up and at breakfast before 10, then meeting Christine in the lobby to go to the Emirates Palace only to find out that the formal tours do not begin until Wednesday since we are celebrating Eid, the end of Ramadan. So we decide to go to IKEA. That was a long way. It cost 65 dirhams to get there; our mall trips only take 10 dirhams which is about $3.67 US. Anyway, we enter IKEA much like the one in Atlanta, the only problem is all the rooms are described in meters squared rather than square feet. SO, I'm lost. I don't really get the metric system. Thankfully, I have "an app for that" on my iPhone. I did find a couch, wardrobe (no closets here), a rug, ottoman and a few knick knacks. No purchases since we are still waiting on the furniture allowance. So off to Spinney's we go....

Spinney's is a somewhat local grocery store that stocks more items for the larget expat community. TONS of fresh produce that I recognized. Then, of course, there is a fresh fish ice table that has the largest shrimp, or prawns as they call them, that I have ever seen. They were larger than my hand.

Then as we continue down this aisle, there is the "Pork Shop for Non-Muslims". Yep, that is exactly what it said on the door. In there, there was all kinds of pork: bacon, ham, sausage, panchetta, etc. Also, there was REAL ranch dressing, PopTarts, fried pork skins, baked beans, Spam and much more.


Also, found at Spinney's was Downey fabric softener. Tide seems to be in every store in powder form but this is the first for Downey. I might make it here after all....LOL!!!  Now off to Kalidyah Mall.

We went to the mall in search of stuff for our apartments, plates, silverware, microwave, toaster oven, you know all the stuff for a brand new EMPTY apartment. When we got to the mall, LuLu's was closed and wouldn't open until 5pm. LuLu's is most similar to Target. They have a little bit of it all and the prices are great, I think.  So we went to Chili's at the food court for lunch.

I was so excited that Chili's had Dr. Pepper to drink. Pepsi is everywhere and served with every meal, fast food or sit down, it seems. That is the reason for my excitement!!!  They also had Mushroom Jack Fajitas which the Chili's in the Atlanta area quite serving. I am one HAPPY girl!!!! I will make it here after all....LOL!!!!

Tomorrow is a relaxing day with only LuLu's on the agenda...after 5pm of course ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment