Sunday, August 12, 2012

It's a small world after all!!!

Things have been going well! Met some new people. I have to travel half way around the world to meet people who grew up near my grandmother and where mom and dad were raised. I have been spending time with a lady named Christine from Cordele, Ga. Today before Orientation started, we were talking about where her mom lives in Fort Gaines. Then we discussed that she graduated from high school at Randolph-Clay and worked at the Hardee's in Cuthbert. She also has family in Bluffton and remembers the tragedy with my great-aunt at the service station. Wow!! It's a small world after all.

Orientation was scheduled from 9:00 to 4:00 in the Grand Ballroom.  And Oh was it grand. It was the most ornate I have seen here yet. Absolutely gorgeous!!!  I was finished with everything by 11:00. Such a change from where I came when they would fill the rest of the day with fluff just to keep us there...Thank you, ADEC!!!
The entrance to the Grand Ballroom

Door leading into the Grand Ballroom

The Grand Ballroom. All chairs had seat covers. Very elegant.

The chandelier in the Grand Ballroom


There was a brief overview about what is covered for teachers and then we were given directions on completing the paperwork for NBAD (National Bank of Abu Dhabi). Basically, just to sign the papers and they will complete the rest for us. We will pick up our debit cards in 3 days and the account will be ready. Our first deposit will be the housing allowance followed by our first salary payment at the end of the month. The plans are that I will stay here at the hotel for the next 15 days.

Next was a line to turn in my passport and visa so that my permanent residence visa can be processed. Both will be returned to me here at the hotel "in 2 days." I love the accents. They pronunciate every letter in every word. Just like last night at the mexican restaurant, we had queso cheese dip made from "belbetta". They do not pronounce the letter V.

And finally to collect the keys to my new apartment. I will be living in Sheikh Sultan bin Tahnoon Complex in Al Ain. So, I am told.

So far, so good.

1 comment:

  1. Yikes!! I am so excited for you. We had a much larger exit than we realized was going to take place last year. I truly believe the biggest reason was the communication issues. We will be told one thing, and another happens. As you well remember, that's not even unusual in Clayton County, so I think all of you will be great. It's funny to see how much you're like me; very touristy...I love the sights, sounds, and scents! I haven't gotten tired of them yet!

    ReplyDelete