Monday, April 8, 2013

Desert Safari

Jeff, who I grew up with, and Jamie Skinner asked me to go on a Desert Safari. Since it is one of the things that I didn't get to do with mom and dad, I agreed. I was pretty excited!  I've heard all kinds of wonderful things about these trips but had not done one myself. So, we headed off towards Dubai to meet some others. Jeff was told to meet at the LuLu's Supermarket behind the Mall of Emirates at 3:00pm. So we leave Al Ain about 1:30pm, giving us time to find this place. It was pretty easy to locate. 

Once there, we take the girls to the bathroom and Jamie sees one of teachers that came in with her in January. They happen to be going on the Safari too. Later, in comes the guy who organized this event for the teachers in Al Ain. He tells us that the guy from the Safari will not be here until 4:00pm. So now we have realized we rushed for nothing!! 

Finally, the guy shows up and takes our money and Cobone certificates (discount). Once everyone is accounted for, they take us across the parking lot to a tour bus. We are told the drive will be about 20 minutes. We load the bus at 4:27pm the bus finally starts moving. We drive for what seems like forever. Somewhere around 5:15pm we pull into these small businesses (tourist trap) and are told to go to the restroom and there are snacks available for purchase. Reluctantly, we get out and head to the "bathroom," I use that term lightly. There was a toilet but the seat was broken and missing a section shaped like a triangle. Needless to say, this will be a squatting "potty" break. The floor is wet from the dripping spray hose that is common around here. Oh, there is also NO toilet paper. Thankfully, I have learned to ALWAYS carry tissue in my purse. This is an adventure I keep telling myself. For those of you who don't know, I HATE public bathrooms and especially if they are nasty and dirty as this one was. But not knowing where we were going and how long it would be, I heeded the advice and went to the bathroom. Finally, everyone has gone to the bathroom and purchased whatever "tourist stuff" they wanted and we are back on the bus ready to go. 

So we drive another 20 minutes or so and we pull off the side of the road and there are multiple SUVs waiting on us. So we all pile out of the bus and load the SUVs. There are about 5-8 people in each SUV along with the driver. The drivers have a special license to drive in the dunes. Jeff, Jamie, Brooklyn, and London get in the back of the SUV. Another teacher, her small son, and myself get in the middle and her mother in the front passenger seat. 


This view looks out of the front window. 


This is another SUV with other teachers in it. I cannot describe the dune bashing, other than it is amazing!! Definitely a MUST when my parents come back. 


This is the view from the parking lot of the location where we will eat, ride camels, see a falcon, and many other things. 


Brooklyn and her friend, Eva, on a camel.


Jeff on the camel with London. 




The belly dancer who should be hitting the gym a few more times a week...hehehe


Tables we will be sitting at to watch the entertainment and eat. 


Another of the entertainers who spun in a circle wearing this skirt of some kind that would eventually light up and he would move it. It was pretty neat. 


And finally, we leave by loading back in the SUVs and driving back toward the road and the bus. 

3 comments:

  1. This looks like fun. I enjoy your blog and have found it interesting and informative as an incoming EMT in August, 2013. Perhaps I will see you in the UAE, especially if they place me in Al Ain. Thanks for sharing your experiences on the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, I've been looking through the weblog a pair of times and basically needed to say that the way with phrases is best notch. All the best.
    bus in Atlanta
    shuttle service Atlanta airport

    ReplyDelete
  3. Belly dancing could be an excellent workout. But I think it wont work for me.

    property shop abu dhabi

    ReplyDelete