Sunday, April 28, 2013

Rain Forest or Desert????

I thought I moved to the desert NOT the rain forest!!

This has been the strangest weather!!!! For the last 3 days it has rained almost non-stop and cool. Virtually unheard of here. It usually only rains 3 days in the entire year. Friday and Saturday (my weekend), it rained so there was no going to the pool which I had gotten used to doing every weekend. For those of you who know me, know that I love sun and water. It doesn't matter if it is at the pool or the beach that is my "happy place" where I go to unwind and refocus. 

So, this weekend, there was none of that. I was stuck inside....BLAH!!!  Now I know later on I will be complaining about it being so HOT! By next weekend, we will be back into the 100's and sweating sitting still. 

Today, while teaching, I heard lots of noise outside. I opened the classroom door to look out and all the girls run out of the room at the same time and go straight out into the rain. Almost the entire school was outside playing in the rain. Even the Arabic teachers were walking around in the rain taking pictures. While I was shocked at this behavior, I had to stop and think that as a native Georgian, we are usually this way about snow. Anyway, after about 15-20 minutes the rain stopped and all the girls came back to the room. We attempted to get back on task but the girls were so excited about the rain that we just muddled through our math lesson. Then during the math lesson, we hear the rain again. I open to check outside and again the girls run out. However, this time our Assistant Principal is out telling the girls to stay under the shelter and close to the building since it was thundering. The girls were chanting something in Arabic that must have been a praise to Allah for the rain. It sounded like one sentence that was repeated over and over. The only word I recognized was "Allah".  So again, we stand and watch the rain until it stops. 

Here are pictures of the girls playing in the rain!  






This was a great reminder that while rain seems to be an inconvenience to me, it brings great joy to others! 
I'm in awe of what God shows me!

No comments:

Post a Comment