Friday, February 22, 2013

Fruit Day

Fruit day was interesting!! All the girls brought in various fruits. Some of them I have seen in the stores and others I had no idea about. So, my class and I gather in the courtyard and sit on a rug. They bring me different pieces of fruit to peel and for them to eat. For those of you who know me, I don't like my hands to be dirty. However, this day, my hands were GROSS!!! All for the sake of the girls. My hands were dripping with various juices from various fruits...YUCK!! But the girls had a blast and honestly, I did too!!
 


Since I was encouraging them to try new fruits, I had to do the same. So I decided since I see this fuzzy, "porcupine" looking fruit in the store frequently, I would try it. 

As you can tell by the picture, I'm not so sure about this fruit. You crack the shell and eat the inside that is the texture of a grape but has a seed in the center of it. I liked the juice but didn't like the texture with the seed in the middle. Anyway, it was an experience. 



I also tried mangosteen that day too. Once again, interesting and I can say that I've done it. At first, I saw one of my girls eating it and eating several of them. She could only tell me the Arabic word for it which didn't help me know what it was. So, I asked an Arabic teacher. She said it was "sweet garlic" which was a little strange to me. But I had my "adventurous" hat on that day and decided to try it. When you crack open the hard, purple shell, inside is the fleshy fruit that looks like the cloves of garlic. I ate a couple of them and it was ok. Not bad, but not good! 
                                                   

The girls really enjoyed sitting around peeling and eating the fruit.  It really was a nice day!!


                                      


No comments:

Post a Comment