Saturday, January 5, 2013

Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque

One day, we visited the Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque. Located in Abu Dhabi, it is the largest mosque in the UAE and the 8th largest in the world. 
Lots of pictures. Be sure to go to the end and continue reading.

                                     
 This is a water fountain. 


 These are the times for the Call to Prayer. 
 An amazing chandelier made from Swarovski crystals.

A flower design between four columns. 



 Arabic writings on the wall.

 The Quran

 Intricate details in the glass window










 The view of the mosque as we were leaving. 
 Ladies have to be covered from head to toe. So rather than borrow clothing from the mosque that others have worn, we wore long sleeves and pants and took pashminas to cover our heads. 



 Place inside to wash your feet





While the mosque was quite grand, beautiful, and immaculate, I  did not have the sense of peace and reverence that I have felt when entering some beautiful, grand churches. Now. was it the children running around, the constant photography, or something else? I do not know but I didn't feel it. 

2 comments:

  1. THe whole time I was reading down the page and scanning down through the pics I was wondering if you felt an oppression there. Then you addressed it at the end. I'm not sure if I would visit the mosques or not. Part of me would want to for the architecture, but I would be concerned about opening up myself to evil spirits while there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This design really amazes me. This is such a bold and a one of a kind architectural idea. That is one magnificent architectural design there. It just look so awesome. Really nice.


    psi

    ReplyDelete