Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Bitter Sweet!

As I sit here in my apartment in Al Ain ready to visit the US for 6 weeks, I am amazed at all God has done for me. I have learned a lot about myself and a new culture. It has been 11 months and 1 day since I left the US to come on this amazing journey. I have made new friends who have become my family. These friends come from all over, the US, Egypt, Pakistan, India, UAE and many others. These people are no different than I am. They are amazing in their faith, their acceptance of others and I have learned many things through all of them. 

I have learned about a new culture and how the US media is completely wrong in how they portray this entire culture. While the US is happy to portray this entire region of the Middle East as radical Muslims, it is entirely NOT true! The US media has led most Americans to believe that all Muslims are the radicals in the Jihad and are "out to kill" all Americans. After living here, I can say that is entirely not true! I have not met any Muslims who act in anyway that the media has portrayed. Here, they are accepting, faithful, respectful, caring, kind, loving, honest people who are living a spiritual life they way they were raised. 

I have learned that I am stronger than I think most of the time. Sure, there have been times that I have cried and wondered "what have I done?" but at this point, I would not change this experience for the world. I am extremely happy in the adventure God has taken me on and look forward to more!

So, today is bitter sweet! I am sad to be leaving my new home here in the UAE for a brief 6 week visit in the US but I am extremely excited to see my family and friends that I have missed in the past 11 months. 

For now, it is so long and I will see you all in the US!!

1 comment:

  1. It sure do would feel like that especially if you love something.

    psi

    ReplyDelete