Saturday, June 29, 2013

The Power "Saga" Ends

A continuation of my previous post...
I have finally completed the daunting task of getting the electricity and water transferred into my name.

In the last post, I had completed the step at the Municipality and was calling AADC (Al Ain Distribution Company) to read the meter.

So, I called to have the meter read and was instructed to wait to receive 2 text messages. I got the first message on June 23 and the second on June 24. I have no idea what either of them say since both are in Arabic. 

On June 25, I take the paper from the Municipality and the 2 text messages to the AADC branch on Khalifa Street (the most friendly of the branches, I'm told). I wait my turn and finally am called to the desk. I give the man the letter and my phone to show the 2 text messages. He asks for my rental agreement. I explain that the Municipality kept the rental agreement and gave me this letter. He tells me that he can't input the information without the rental agreement. I explain again I don't have the rental agreement that the Municipality kept it and told me I only needed this letter. The man explains again he can't input the information without it and tells me to go to the "Main" building across from Jimi Mall and ask to speak to his boss, Yasser Al Amri, but that they have already closed for the day since it is after 3pm. 

So, the next morning, I get permission to leave school and go to AADC to get this taken care of. I get there and tell the security guard what I need and that I was told to see Yasser Al Amri. He asks for my ID and gives me a pass to go to the next door and go see this man. When I finally locate his office, I am informed that his is not there but in a meeting. So, I head back to the security desk. Another man asks me what I need and I explain to him. He goes off and speaks to someone else and comes back about 5 minutes later and tells me to take a number and wait. 

Finally, my number is called and this nice Arabic woman is extremely helpful. She takes all of my information and tells me that it will be a 1000aed deposit ($271.74) and then the usage of 1540.30aed ($418.56). While this may sound high to begin with, keep in mind that this is the usage from September to June. So for 10 months, the power bill was approximately $42 American dollars per month. That never happened when I lived in the US. 

So before I left, I asked if I would get a text message to tell me how much the bill was for the month. She said "No, just come in once a month and pay." So, I guess that is one more thing to remember. 


1 comment:

  1. Hey! This is why many of us just go to Al Ain mall on payday...we get money out to send home, go downstairs and pay the utilities, then some pay Etisalat (I pay mine through the machine.)

    ReplyDelete